I recently I read a comical article about things that a Realtor would never, ever say. I took my chuckles from that article, and internalized them into my own version of “5 Things You’ll Never Hear A Good Realtor Tell You!!” – As stated in my, “Happy To Meet You” article, humor is the spice of life! This piece will be filled with facts, mixed in with a little bit of funny! Hope you enjoy 🙂
1) “I’m sure the potential buyers, and their children will love your collection of Bull Mastiff dogs!” – While, we may actually love your dogs, and some buyers out there will too… most of the time the proper thing to do is to remove your animals from your home for showings. There are a few exceptions, and we know this is hard to hear for all you pet lovers out there to hear! Moving your pets from the home is just a smart move for your home sale. Not only does it distract buyers, but it may also imply that there were accidents in the house, and may make buyers more prone to nit-picking around!
2) “Just go ahead and stick around for the showing, home inspection, and might as well stay at home for your appraisal too!” – No, no… and NO! An experienced agent will tell you that you need to vacate your home for all showings, inspections, and appraisals! A homeowner can get in the way for an agent trying to show their buyers your home! Not to mention, if they have to critic your home, or ask questions… it can get a little awkward for all parties involved!
3) “I think you should just sell your home by yourself. You can just learn everything you need to know online, it is just as good as an agent, and you’ll save money!” – First, if you’ve read any of my previous articles… the golden rule is to NOT BE A FSBO… you will not save time, and you certainly will not save money. Those are just the facts. But, the reality is that real estate agents have the training and experience that can get a home sold, for top dollar, and in the least amount of time possible. Agents have an understanding of the housing market, and have connections to other agents that you just don’t have.
4) “Buyers don’t care about the outside of your home… so don’t waste your money on landscaping” – Have you ever heard the phrase, “First impressions are everything?” I’m not saying you need to drop thousands of dollars on fresh landscaping, but the outside of your home does need to be presentable. Go to Lowes and buy a couple of bags of mulch and fill in those flowerbeds like you’ve been meaning to! It will go a long way, I promise!
5) “Ohh– you want to price your home for $35,000 more than all of the other homes in your neighborhood? AND – You want it sold in 30 days? Wonderful… sign here!” – I can tell you with the utmost certainty… You won’t here those words come out of my mouth! Pricing a home is one of the most important jobs that a Realtor has. Pricing it competitively is necessary if you want to actually sell your home! For some homeowners the competitive, and accurate price is not always the same price they’ve imagined their home to be worth, and that is okay! A good Realtor (like me) will take the time to break everything down, including price per sqft. A home that is ridiculously overpriced will only sit, unsold, and at the end of the day, just depresses everyone!
I could probably throw a few more out there… but I think that you get the picture! If you or someone you know has been thinking of selling/buying a home in Central Ohio contact us today!
To find our more about us, and our contact information click HERE!